Today, we finished our excavations in Unit 4. We fully excavated the exposed midden (about 75-80% of the entire feature, based on the magnetometry result). We individually excavated each posthole and stain. We removed a column of sediment for flotation. And we got most of the backfilling done before calling it a day. The artifacts were many, the stratigraphy (a.k.a. the laying of the dirt) was pretty straight forward, and it was a good run. But now, we are shifting focus to dig a trench through the earthwork.
We’ve laid out the units for the trench, and have begun excavating the middle one. This more-or-less test unit will provide to profile walls, from which we can trace back the natural levels of the feature. Already, we are noticing interesting things about this area. The sediment here is much sandier and much more speckled with mica in other units. Additionally, all of the diagnostic artifacts coming out of this feature appear to date to the Middle Woodland Connestee phase. We hope to be able to report more on these deposits in the next few days.